Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Are You Hungry?

Growing up I remember people would get a hankerin' for something. Not sure what a hankerin' really is, but I think I got one. A hankerin' for some in-depth, give-it-to-me-straight bible preaching. Do you know what I mean?

Now I like dessert - alot. I like junk food - alot. But my body knows when it needs a real meal with real food. No tofu. I need red meat with some serious side dishes. If I eat enough of the good food, there usually isn't any room or real desire for the dessert and junk food.

Just like my body knows when it has had enough dessert and needs meat, my soul knows when it has had enough dessert-style feeding and is craving some dig-your-fork-into-it Word of God. God made us that way. Our flesh likes the fluff, our soul needs meat.

If we feed our flesh only desserts and things that just look tempting and make us feel all good, we will become sickly. Same goes with our souls. If we only feed on surface preaching that never causes conviction, challenges us, pushes us and makes us uncomfortable from time-to-time, we will get sick and our soul atrophies. The atrophy will target our hearts and minds. We will spiritually die.

When exactly did Jesus invite us to the table to sup with Him and only put out the desserts? I missed that verse. The author of Hebrews tells us that we need solid food to mature and that if we don't mature, we will not be able to tell good from evil. If we don't regularly feed on the solid Word of God, we will get sick.

I want to pull my chair up to the table of God, grab a hold of my fork and feed on the feast of His Word. When I do, I won't need dessert, for He alone will be enough.

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:35

No comments: