Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Gifts

I'm not really sure if it is just my age or my season in life or my relationship with Christ or a combination of all three, but the gifts I desire for Christmas this year can't be bought or made or wrapped with ribbon. The things I most desire in my heart, the things that consume my prayers and thoughts aren't tangible, but they are very spiritual and can only come from God himself.

Kenny, my husband, was asking me what I wanted for Christmas this year. In the tangible realm, it was a short list: coffee, chocolate, a book and a dvd player. My heart stirred though for more than money could ever buy. As we talked about Christmas and gifts, he asked me "do you remember what you got for Christmas last year?" I'm not sure I do. I have gotten some wonderful and thoughtful gifts from family and friends this year and I certainly remember the "Easy Bake" oven, the Barbie Townhouse and that "must have" pair of boots I got for Christmas as a child.

The gifts I most remember didn't always come on Christmas morning: my husband getting baptized; watching my husband speak at an Emmaus closing and at the Called to Belong event; my daughter getting baptized; my son getting baptized; my son going on a mission's trip to Mexico; the emails I received from my children when they were at college; my daughter's wedding; being set free from bondages and shame; watching my family be set free and the list goes on. I could name countless blessings from the Lord, but there isn't room enough on this blog to contain them. Those are the gifts I most remember and no one can take them from me. They won't end up in a box in the basement for a future garage sale. I don't have to buy new batteries for them and they won't break. They will still 'fit' and be the 'right size' no matter how many Christmas cookies I eat!

I could pray for peace on earth and someday there will be peace on earth when the Prince of Peace returns. I could pray that all the sick will be healed, but that too will have to wait until the Great Physician and Healer comes back to take us home. I could pray for a worldwide revival and that all will come to know Jesus as their Savior, but we know that the scriptures teach a different ending. So instead, I will turn the Christmas list of my heart over to God and on it will be some very specific names and requests - you know, for the kind of gifts that money can't buy.

"Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!" Luke 1:45


Humbly at His feet,
Kim

No comments: