Monday, December 29, 2008

Be A Doer

Have you ever felt God just pressing something on your heart that you knew you could not ignore? Be a doer of the Word - not just a hearer (paraphrase - mine). But in James 1:22 NIV it says: Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. DO WHAT IT SAYS. (emphasis mine)

Right in the middle of the night, first thing this morning and ever since, I keep hearing God tell me DO WHAT IT SAYS. I think He is saying it louder than I can make it come across in bold or large letters. Do what it says, child - DO IT!!

Every so often God will just lay something on me so strongly, that I believe, if I ignore his instructions He will just turn me into a pillar of salt right where where I stand. It is non-negotiable. There doesn't seem to be room during those times for me to give God a list of excuses of why I can't or a list of my short-comings that would prohibit me from following through. Nope. This one is a non-negotiable. Funny though, God didn't tell me what exactly I was to do. I prefer that He would give me all the instructions and details, but generally I don't get that. I just got a DO IT.

I do know, however, what part of that means. Get my nose in the Word and get it in my heart and in my mind. If I know what to do, I will also know how to do it or I will be able to hear the gentle voice of the Holy Spirit leading me through the unknown to get it accomplished. It will most likely require me to add a new level of faith in my life. It will probably cost me something in the process without any direct knowledge of what might be gained. But this I do know, God has made it plain as day that I am to be a 'doer' of His Word and just not a hearer.

James 1:22 - 25 ends with these beautiful words of promise: But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues doing this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it - he will be blessed in what he does.

Oh Lord, help me to be a doer and not just a hearer. Help me to see through your eyes and may you speak boldly to me, your servant, that I might know what to do in accordance with your desires. Teach me your Word and write it on my heart that I might not sin against you, but that I might be obedient in all things. I want to be a 'doer' for you. I am just absolutely in love with you Jesus. Kim

No comments: