Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Favorite Bible

In 2004, I purchased my very first NIV translation bible. I fell in love with it. Couldn't stop reading it as the words popped off the pages in a new way. Over the years it became ragged and the binding fell off and the words somehow got smaller on the pages.


So God blessed me with a new bible a couple of years ago. Same words - bigger letters. I laid my old bible on my nightstand and haven't really used it much since I got the new one. But tonight I picked it up and my heart stirred. This bible and I have been through some life together with Jesus. I have actually slept with it holding it to my chest during difficult nights. There are tear stains, coffee stains and life all throughout its pages. Not just the lives of those we read about, but my life. The highlighted verses are rich in meaning to me. I think I just needed to be reminded yet again of how faithful God is and how much He and I have been through.

When I flipped open the pages tonight, I was also amazed that the words got bigger as it laid there on my nightstand. Or perhaps it was just the bifocals. But whatever the case may be, it will always be my favorite.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

This so reminds me of myself and my NIV bible. I had it a few years now and it was the first time I ever steered away from the KJV....ouch.

I fell in love with it and it became my constant companion. Wow, if you can see it right now. The pages are falling out, there's so much written in it. I grew to love Jesus even more from spending countless hours in this bible.
My daughter keeps saying 'mom your bible looks terrible" but the thought of parting with it is too much :)
I actually put it aside a few weeks ago but I missed it so much I had to go back to it.

It is my absolute favorite. I feel your connection :)

Kim said...

Glad to know that someone else understands!!

And I have no idea why blogger doesn't want to show comments that have been posted . . . I think it has a mind of its own.