Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Eating Humble Pie

God & I have been having some 'discussions' about where He is leading me and what He wants me to do with my life. Except He isn't speaking to me about it. I am a list person so my conversation goes like this: "Lord, what do you want me to do, what kind of ministry should I be involved in, how long will I be doing that, how are we going to do this, etc.?" No answer. Repeat: "Lord, pleeeeeease I NEED to know". Still no answer.

Then my Chinese friend comes to see me today and I am now enjoying a fresh piece of humble pie. She came to the U.S. to attend seminary. She came with her young daughter while her husband stayed behind for the 3 - 4 years she will be here. When she arrived, she could not speak one sentence in English. Not one. So not only is she alone in a foreign country, with a small child, doesn't speak any English, knows no one - she is going to graduate school. She amazes me. Humble as can be.

I asked her one day what she was going to do after she graduated and returned to China. She looked at me puzzled and responded "I do not know. I will ask the Lord what He wants me to do when I am done here." She tells me that God sent her here to go to school so she didn't need to be concerned about what was next. She knew God would tell her when it was time. It's not time.

Now get this - not only has she learned English, enrolled her daughter in school, works, takes classes, is basically a single mom for the next few years - she started a bible study for Chinese students who attend a local college and she started a Chinese church. Wait there is more. She made the arrangements for the Chinese church, preaches there sometimes, and she makes food for all the people who attend every week. You read that right, she came from China to be a missionary to the Chinese people here. That might not have been part of the original plan, but that is how God works. Several have received Christ, several have been baptized and more keep coming. Please don't forget she is a full-time graduate student who still has some problems with English.

God sends her to see me every time I start to get ahead of myself and Him. So for today, I will do what God tells me and when He tells me to do something different, then I will. It will save us both a lot of trouble.






No comments: