Saturday, February 28, 2009

Just One Book Needed

As I sat at the kitchen table, reading, researching and writing for next week's retreat, there are literally piles of books and papers all around me. Some might call it a mess - I call it a little heaven on earth. I love books and I love studying them. There are few things that thrill me more than reading and studying the Word of God and seeing how it all comes together and discovering new truths and precious nuggets right there in the middle of the ancient Scriptures. The more time I spend in the Word of God, the more time I want to spend in the Word of God.

With piles of books and countless words and opinions and thoughts before me, there is really only One book that I need to rely on though. It can be so easy to get caught up in reading every other book about God and miss the one He wrote. It is good to read and research and expand our thinking, but never at the expense of being led astray or not spending time reading the Holy Words. If we don't know the truth of what the Bible says, how will we know if what we are reading is a good thing?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. (Isaiah 55:8) Man's words should never be a substitute for our time with the Lord; rather they should be a supplement.

I will keep reading other books right along with my Bible and will take some sound advice from God as I do: "Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil." 1 Thess. 5:21-22

No comments: