Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pick Me

I have a confession to make. About six and half years ago, when the Lord and I got back together He opened my eyes to His words in Isaiah 6 during a sermon at church. It was about Isaiah's commission where it reads in verse 8: "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said "Here am I. Send me!" I heard those words and they never left me. I just kept thinking over and over again: "Pick me Lord, pick me. I will go for you!" There is a song by Mercy Me that talks about that same scripture. I would play it loud in my living room, sit on the floor and raise my hand like a little girl in school hoping that the Lord might see that I wanted him to "pick me".

I remember in school being the last one picked for gym-class teams because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when I threw a ball if I tried. I wasn't the homecoming attendant. I wasn't the first one picked for much of anything. Second sometimes, but not usually first. I was usually the first chair in the flute section if you started at the end. You get my point.

But there in church was this chance that maybe Jesus would pick me. He has given me many opportunities to serve Him. I have tried to listen and follow carefully, but I know that sometimes I fail. There have been times when he picked me for an opportunity to show His love or mercy and I missed it. I missed it out of fear, flat-out disobedience, busyness, lack of courage - really doesn't matter why, I just missed it. I am overly and abundantly blessed in the areas that God has allowed me to serve Him and I know there are many more out there. I am not complaining.

However, there is still that little girl inside of me with her hand raised high saying "Pick me". Today's sermon at church was about following Jesus. They sang a song that said something to the effect of "who will go for us, to the lost, the hungry, the poor." I raised my hand in worship. People probably thought it was just in praise. Truth is, I was hoping God would see my hand and pick me. I will tell the lost, the hungry, the poor. I will go where you will send me Lord.

"Here am I. Send me!"

No comments: