Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Leaning on Him

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

How many times in life do I head down my own path and look back to see if God is going to come along with me and bless and protect me? Far too many! I think about all the times I start out following God's leading and direction only to then lean on my understanding.

In the last year (and weeks) it seems that I have had to lean on him more and more. My own understanding falls far short to comprehend the work God is doing in my life. In reference to "make your paths straight", the study notes in my bible say "He will remove the obstacles from your pathway and bring you to your appointed goal." Of course! If God is going to direct my paths and lead me to follow Him, He will remove the obstacles. He didn't call me to follow Him only to leave me stranded at the first detour.

These verses need to be a constant reminder to me to trust in Christ completely and not try to figure everything out from my own understanding. It is just as important that I acknowledge Him in all my ways. It is easy to call out to God in the tough times, but I need to remember to call out to Him in EVERY decision I make. I want to be on His path - not my own.

What a sweet reminder that He walks with me in the good and the bad. I can't think of a better traveling companion.



No comments: