Tuesday, August 26, 2008

This Present Darkness & Prayer

I just finished reading "This Present Darkness" by Frank Peretti. Wow. What an amazing book. I had heard wonderful things about it, but it was truly better than I expected.

I realize that the book is fiction - period. However, it absolutely gave me new inspiration in my personal prayer life. I firmly believe everything the bible says about prayer and spiritual battles/warfare. But sometimes, I confess, I am not as diligent in praying for others as I should be. Sometimes my prayer life is just plain pathetic. It's not that I don't pray, but sometimes I don't pray with the faith and fervency that I should. James 5:16 tells us that the "the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." I love the KJV version "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." We are called to intercede and pray for one another.

This book was a clear reminder to me that prayer does matter. We may not see the spiritual battles raging on for us and our loved ones, but that doesn't mean that there aren't battles. The bible tells us there are. Ephesians 6:12 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Prayer matters. Jesus himself prayed often - I am sure far more than we will ever know. All throughout the bible we see powerful examples of the importance and impact of prayer. "This Present Darkness" might be fiction, but it certainly reminded me - yet again - to get on my knees and intercede for those I love and for others that need our prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read all of Frank's books all good and clearly remind us about the spiritual warfare that goes on and why we need to constantly be on guard and pray because he prowls around looking to devour us. Another good book is called "The List" by Robert Whitlow.