Thursday, February 3, 2011

Great Cake to make for those you love

Many years ago I got this cake recipe from our local newspaper. I have no idea who the original person was that shared it. All I know is I have never had one single piece of this cake go to waste. We don't really celebrate Valentine's Day at our house, but my husband and I are going to dinner at our friends' house tomorrow night with several other couples. I am making this cake to take for dessert. But it would make a great cake for a Valentine's celebration or really just make it because it is chocolate and yummy.

Since I am always looking for new recipes that are tried and true through the years, I thought maybe someone else might be too. So here it is:

Double Fudge Sheet Cake

2-layer chocolate cake mix (prepare according to package directions)
2/3 c. shortening
1/2 c. butter (softened, but not melted)
1 14 oz. can Eagle Brand milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 16 oz. can DUNCAN HINES* chocolate frosting

Prepare the cake mix. Bake in greased 11 x 16" jellyroll pan at 350 degrees for 15-20 min. Do not over bake. Cool.

Beat the shortening, butter, milk and vanilla together until fluffy. About 10-15 min. ( If you make this cake in high humidity or in the middle of summer, I suggest cooling your can of milk in the fridge first. If the filling still seems to want to separate while you are mixing it, stick the bowl in the fridge for 15-30 min. and then start beating it again. It should not separate.) Spread over cake. Chill until firm.

Soften the frosting in the microwave for about 1 minute. Stir. You can pour it directly out of the frosting can, but I like to take a spoon and drizzle it over the cake to make sure I don't have big globs. Yes - use the whole can.

IMPORTANT: You can use a different brand than Duncan Hines, but the consistency in the frosting is so much better with the Duncan Hines. Go generic and sale on everything else if you want, but don't skimp on the frosting. I have 3 cans of another name brand chocolate frosting in my cupboards, but stopped this morning to buy Duncan Hines and it wasn't on sale either!

Keep the cake refrigerated. Serve generously to those you love.


1 comment:

Ethan said...

I'm bringing dessert too, but I'm stumped. Any ideas?