Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cleaning House

We moved into our new home less than a month ago. The day we moved in the carpet was swept, the floors clean, the bathrooms sparkling and dust was nowhere to be found. For the last three weeks or so we have been unpacking boxes, hanging pictures, decorating and putting furniture in place. Still some boxes to go, but for the most part we are settled in. I was certain that after everything got put away I would be able to sit down in my nice clean house, enjoy a cup of coffee and a good book. Not so. I now need to clean. Dust showed up, the bathrooms are a little grungy, the laundry is overflowing, the mirrors are looking a little foggy and the list goes on. What happened? I didn't move dirt, I moved boxes. Apparently, dust and clutter are no respecter of address! They followed right along behind me.

Right before we moved (the last time), I had found a wonderful website, www.flylady.net, that I was using as a guideline for cleaning. When I used their practical ideas I found my house was less cluttered, cleaned more regularly and I was actually getting my drawers, closets and cupboards in order. Hallelujah! I was getting rid of junk and keeping it that way. I will be starting over again this week using the website ideas since the dirt and clutter have found where I live.

As I looked at the dust bunnies under my kitchen table, it reminded me of how much our physical homes are like our spiritual homes. Matthew 12:43 - 45 says: "When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, ' I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation."

How often do we find ourselves thinking that because we have a relationship with Christ, conquered a stronghold or went to church on Sunday, that we are good to go and don't need to pay as much attention to the cleaning or upkeep of our souls and lives. I know that in my own life I will have found myself walking in the glory of a victory and then not spending as much time on my knees or in the Word, only to find one morning that the enemy moved back in and brought the seven evil spirits with him! Christ told us in Matthew that we need to pay attention. We might kick the enemy out of one area of our life, but if we don't stay steadfast to the Word and spend regular, and yes daily, time with God we can quickly find ourselves in a heap of spiritual dirt.

Just like I can't go three weeks without tending to my housecleaning, I can't go three weeks (or days) without tending to my spiritual needs. If I don't keep my spiritual life maintained with regular prayer, fellowship, bible study and praise, the enemy is more than happy to dump his 'clutter' right in the midst of my life. We would never think of not taking the trash out at home, so why do we think that we can allow the trash of this world to go into our minds unchecked?

So back to the housecleaning I will go and in the process may I remember that God wants to keep me spiritually clean as well and that I need to fill those cleaned out areas with things of God. I certainly don't want the enemy moving back in!

Oh Father, help me to have clean hands and a pure heart. Keep my mind stayed on you and not the things of this world. When I start neglecting my time with you, please remind me that You are all I need and that I need to put you first. When I put you first each day, you will help make sure that my earthly home is in order. May my priorities be your priorities. Continue to clean me up and fill me with your Holy Spirit, so much so that there is no room for the enemy in my life. I praise you Lord and I thank you for all that you are. I love you - In the Name of Jesus, Amen.


Humbly His,
Kim







No comments: